On Wednesday, 09/29/2010 at 10:39 EDT, "McKown, John"
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

> Would this be "true JAVA"? I.e. from licensed source? Or a port of
OpenJDK?
> Which I take it is somewhat different. Or am I, once again, out of my
mind
> (please leave a voice message at the tone)?

The CMS version was a port of (IIRC) the IBM JDK at the 1.4 level.  It
existed within the framework of the CMS support for POSIX, which is
layered upon CMS' native multitasking support.

In a former life, ca. 1998, I had the privilege of doing system-level
testing of it, primarily driving it using multithreaded NetRexx apps.  In
addition to the (at the time) relatively poor performance, it also
suffered from some (apparent) fundamental design issues in CMS
multitasking which caused multithreaded JVMs to mysteriously hang.  Those
issues were never solved and it became clear that, esp. with the
appearance of Linux on the mainframe, that CMS was not going to be a
strategic application development platform.  XEDIT and COMPILE were no
longer viable app development tools and the machines were too slow for a
good GUI.  Not to mention that sw investment in MVS gave middleware an
"available on the mainframe" checkbox.  Develop for z/OS *and* z/VM?  "I
think not."  And so the business requirement for Java on CMS disappeared,
and the whole thing was scrapped.

The lack of servlet support from the vendors of then-extant CMS-based
webservers didn't help.

The rise and fall of Java on CMS happened with incredible speed.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices