--- Yashpal Nagar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have the smart start CDs But when i choose Linux
> as the OS(other options are
> windows 2000, windows 2003, Novel,OS/2, SCO etc)  in
> ROM Based Setup Utility
> (RBSU) and then boots from smart start CD 7.0 it
> says :-
>
> "OS selected is not supported for assisted
> installation using smart
> start..." :(

  HP / Compaq do not support assisted install of
Linux. They also do not have good support for drivers
that you may need for some hardware. Dell has better
support.

> How do i configure array of hard disk for RAID?. I
> have hardware card for RAID
> system. let me check its no..
> Give one try to install Redhat 8.0 & FC2 WITHOUT
> setting up any RAID is fine!

Usually when BIOS messages appear for RAID controller,
it tells you what keys to use to get into BIOS
configuration of that RAID card. It could be ctrl-m
for example. You do RAID configuration in raid card
BIOS.

> > Split your drives into 3 groups:
> >     A RAID 5 set, or RAID 10, for your data
> >     A RAID 1 set, for the OS + App
> >     A normal disk, for swap + /tmp (who cares if
> you lose this?)

A separate RAID 1 for transaction logs ?

Regards,
Naresh

=====
-- Naresh