Rohit Kumar wrote:
> I have heard and read a little about the intel series(extreme/core 2/dual
> core)
> and  also got to know about the unavailability of intel extreme as of now. :-(

how about the 6600 quad core ? is that available at the moment ? Its by
far the best bang-for-the-buck you can get in the UK / US markets at the
moment. And AMD really does not have anything in the same league.

> But then /me just widened the scope by thinking about AMD.

look at it this way, in most cases where you need to push loads of data,
AMD tends to be the better choice, if you need to push clock cycles,
Intel does.

> I have no info on how good (or bad) linux runs on AMD.

works fine, and you will get support for pretty much everything that
might even be AMD specific like amd-v etc.

> But have read on forums that AMD is actually far ahead of intel.

only in some areas, not everywhere :) but one place it is better is
pushing data. So if you are looking at things like Databases, playing
movies, playing games etc - AMD would definitely score higher than its
corresponding intel chip at the same price point.

btw, dont always believe it when people say AMD chips are cheaper than
Intel ones - Compare chips that cost the same amount of money, and take
cost out of the equation completely. Its the only way you can make a
fair comparison on what you get.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : [EMAIL PROTECTED]