On 10/11/07, Yadu Rajiv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Open source game development won't work.. but game development using
> open source source software will.. let me give you my 2 rupees.. :D

Open source game development will not work if done in traditional game
development style.
But if we look int the money and resource inflow required to start a
game development company , Open source game development will work ,
Get a open source game modify it and market. :)

> to really modify the quake engine, or rewrite it and make games (like
> what valve did with half-life) you would still have to license the
> engine( you have to license it to sell your games as closed source..)

The idea here is not selling the game binary , But marketing the game
and making money out of that.

> and + artists(graphic+music et al) are not programmers!! and asking
> them to give away artwork is not as easy as u think it is..

Creative commons rules.

> Making games is not easy, it requires a lot of manpower in a lot of
> different sectors.. a whole range of different programmers and a whole
> range of artists.. im not giving u a break up.. but understand this,
> that the industry is almost as HUGE as the film industry!! and serious
> in every aspect.. making games and playing games are totally
> different!!!

Agreed, But then there is no point in trying and doing which is
already out there, Try something stupid. ;)

> basically, dev-ing games(that can stand shoulder to shoulder with
> major titles) takes a lot of effort and money, even when you are using

Why you want to do that, Let the major titles go around the world and
make money, Let us focus on indian market.

> OSS to dev it.. if you are rich enough and have the time, or just feel
> like doing it, you can, but there is no profit there.. ( come on now,
> don''t give me that look, you would still need some money to pay for
> the electric bill! + food! )

yeah and  that is some money

> ps: might wanna check this out, its a free multiplayer online non
> violent typo game.. you walk around as a stag.. its really nice.. ~
> http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/

gonna try.

--
Thanks and Regards
Gaurav Mishra

Linux User #348873
ILUGD General Secretary, GZLUG  Moderator
RKGIT Alumni(Guiding Light)
Software Engineer , UnitedVillages
http://gauravmishra.info/blog
"When i can run , i will run , When i can walk , i will walk, When i can
crawl , i will crawl. But i will not stop moving forward"