> Open source game development won't work.. but game development using
> open source source software will.. let me give you my 2 rupees.. :D

The accepted practice as far as open source game development goes is to
keep all the 'code' open, and just that.

A viable business model is to keep the code separate from the actual
'content'. You give your game engine away for free; but charge for
binary content packs that add a storyline, or offer an online
multi-player service, for example.

> $ emerge quake3
> <snip>
> Please put your 'pk3' files into /opt/quake3
> <snip>

You can buy these pk3 'content' packs online, essentially mods. The
original Quake 3 pak#.pk3 files are also available on the retail disk.

If you choose a license such as the GPL, you also have the added benefit
of getting back improvements made to your game engine. My point is that
you don't have to 'wait a few years' to release the code for your game.

However, with the Creative Commons movement gaining ground, it does seem
there are plenty of people with time on their hands willing to give-away
their art for free :)

--
Anant

P.S. Many thanks to Vikram for pointing us to UrbanTerror, I was/am an
avid Counter-Strike fan myself, and this really gets me my fix ;)

P.P.S For those into strategy games (like Warcraft :-D), I highly
recommend 'Battle for Wesnoth'.