On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:04:56PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I mentioned earlier. Instead of storing it for each message, I'd use my
> > existing transaction log file to remember last few changes. MODSEQ would be
> > last_MODSEQ + position in log file. MODSEQ of messages not in log file
> > would all be last_MODSEQ. Do you think this would cause any problems?
>
> If you do this, you'll need to fix up the case where there's a single
> client and it's the only one making changes to the folder.
>
> If a client makes a conditional store, not only does the MODSEQ of the
> _changed_ messages increase, but also the MODSEQ of _all_ other messages
> in the folder.

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, currently my log isn't written to unless
there's multiple clients accessing the mailbox. It's also truncated whenever
all clients are synced. Supporting this extension would have to change that
behaviour so that the log is written every time and is truncated only after
there's been "many" changes. There's actually two log files, when one is
full the other is truncated and selected, so half of the changes would be
left. That way MODSEQ of non-changed messages will change only when log file
is truncated, which likely takes days and most clients would have synced by
then.