On 31 December 2023 16:31:31 GMT, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

>php handles this in threadsafe mode

Depending on your exact definition of "php", this is either irrelevant or just
plain wrong.

If you mean "the HTTP SAPIs shipped with official builds of PHP", then it's
true, none handle multiple concurrent requests in a single thread using async
I/O. But none handle multiple consecutive requests in a single thread using a
"worker mode" either, which is the whole point of this conversation.

If you mean for "php" to include third party HTTP handlers such as FrankenPHP,
then it also includes Swoole, which is what I was describing. Please someone
correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand ReactPHP and AMPHP also include HTTP
servers using the same principle.

So, to reiterate my point once more: implementations of PHP using async
concurrency are out there already in production use. If we're attempting to
standardise a new API for worker modes (i.e. HTTP servers which are no longer
"shared nothing"), choosing one which can be used by consecutive worker modes
(FrankenPHP , RoadRunner) but not concurrent ones (Swoole, ReactPHP, AMPHP)
feels like a big missed opportunity.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins