On Mon, Jan 22, 2024, at 9:11 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 12:54 PM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am in support of this change.  My only concern is timeline.  This RFC
>> would deprecate it in 8.4, and presumably support would be removed in 9.0.
>> While we haven't discussed a timeline for 9.0, historically the pattern is
>> every 5 years, which would put 9.0 after 8.4, which means only one year of
>> deprecation notices for this change.
>>

> This is... not true. There is literally no established pattern for when
> major releases take place, either by length of time, or number of minor
> releases.
>
> PHP 3 had no minor releases. PHP 4 had 4 minor releases before PHP 5
> dropped, and then a minor release happened AFTER PHP 5 was already in the
> wild (4.4). PHP 5 had 7 minor releases, with MULTIPLE YEARS between some of
> the minor releases before the current process was adopted towards the end
> of its lifecycle.
>
> We are moving TOWARDS a fairly standard process, but there's no definite
> plans for PHP 9 to follow after 8.4 as of yet, and the process does not
> require it.

I know there's no official statement regarding timeline.  However, 5.3 (aka PHP
6) -> PHP 7 was 5 years.  PHP 7 -> PHP 8 was 5 years.  It's not unreasonable
for folks to assume 9 comes 5 years after 8, whether that's the intention or
not.  Given the lengths of time involved there's not a great many data points
to work from, but humans gonna pattern match. :-)

In any case, my core point is a deprecation of this impact probably needs more
than a year's lead time before it's actually removed.  If we agree on that, we
should plan around that and actually, you know, plan.

>> Given the massive amount of code that built up between 5.1 and 7.1, and
>> 7.1 and today, I worry that a year won't be enough time for legacy code to
>> clean up and it would be another "OMG you broke everything you evil
>> Internals <expletive deleted>!" like the "undefined is now warning" changes
>> in 8.0.  (In both cases, well-written code any time from the past decade
>> has no issue but well-written code is seemingly the minority.)
>>

> But I DO agree with the above. So this might be a time for us to start
> discussing if/when we want a PHP 9 to occur.

--Larry Garfield