On 23-1-2024 3:18, Gina P. Banyard wrote:
The RFC notes that PHPStan and friends have an easy flag to make the change,
which is great, but still that's a minority of PHP devs that even know to use
static analysis.
One does not need to use a static analyser to determine or fix this issue,
indeed, I didn't even mention static analysers in the RFC as PHP_CS_FIXER is a
tool for enforcing coding styles and is capable of fixing this issue.
This tool and other code formatting tools are used more widely and for longer
than static analysers.
While I concur that too few devs use the helpful tooling available to them, I can already tell you that PHPCompatibility for PHP_CodeSniffer will be able to detect and flag code subject to this deprecation without problems and I will make sure the sniff is available ahead of the PHP 8.4 release (providing the RFC passes).

And the Slevomat Coding Standard for PHP_CodeSniffer already contains the `SlevomatCodingStandard.TypeHints.NullableTypeForNullDefaultValue` sniff to auto-fix non-nullable typed parameters with a `null` default value to be nullable typed as well, so it's not just CS-Fixer which can help with this.

Smile,
Juliette