On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Tex Texin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Tex,

>  I understand the concern, but it is really a quite theoretical concern.
>  The intl extension is a PHP wrapper around ICU API. The code layer is very
> thin.

This theoretical concern is actually how we work. It does not matter
if you think it is not important or that you don't have to follow it.
If one wants us to be happy, to embrace his work or to contribute in
any form, the minimum to do is to respect our way of working. Writing
code is fine, that's what many of us do, but if one likes to merge his
work in PHP, he better has to apply our relatively small rules and
principles.

>  Because we wanted to meet the 5.3 release dates, and because the development
> proved more difficult than we orginally estimated, we scaled back on
> delivering some of the API originally proposed. Support for date objects was
> one of the items that was left out of the original plans for this release.
> The reason was workload and timing. It was desired, but we couldn't resource
> it.

No offense, but I do think that you may have won more contributors (I
wonder if it was even necessary given the amount of committers I saw)
if you were discussing the project on php-18n and called for help
earlier. I18n is a very important missing piece of PHP.

>  So I understand the worry, but the conjecture that there were a lot of
> choices and design decisions that the list should have been privy too, is
> just fantasy. And like the search for Weapons of Mass Destruction, there is
> nothing hazardous to find.

Actually there is something hazardous to find, why this private list?
Please understand why I (and afaics other) worry about such behaviors,
especially from Zend or Y!.

>  I hope that helps. I don't think I can say any more that would be
> convincing. If people want to believe we are a secret cabal out to undermine
> PHP, than ok. I don't think there is anything we need to apologize for.
> Whatever the worries, you can read the manual, and see the code. If you see
> evidence of something deleterious to PHP please point it out using the bug
> system.

I think  you should apologize yes. Or at least enlight us about the
reasons why you created a private list despite that your initial
php-icu announcement was talking about [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which
is a nearly dead cow and gives the impression that it has nothing to
do with what is happening in CVS, from an activity point of view).

>  I don't think I can take the time to continue to say the off-list
> discussions were insignificant to this list.

I agree, as long as you don't understand the underlying concept behind
our worries.

Cheers,
--
Pierre