On Friday 18 September 2009 9:12:55 am troels knak-nielsen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Ford, Mike <m.f...@leedsmet.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Well, that sounds like a pretty good definition of a "magic" constant, so
> > maybe __CALLER__ might be appropriate as well?
>
> It's not a constant, is it now?
>
> __FILE__, __LINE__, __CLASS__ etc. can be resolved at compile-time.
> The caller will only be known at run time.
>
> I, for one, am quite happy that it's fairly complicated and convoluted
> to get the caller of a method, since it could lead to some seriously
> incomprehensible code in the hands of someone who don't know what they
> are doing. Requiring the user to use the backtrace is a clear warning
> sign, and I think that's a good thing.

That's the point I was trying to get at earlier.  Implicit context is ugly.
Doing something ugly should require ugly code.  That helps tell you it's ugly,
and you probably shouldn't be doing it.  (Isn't there a Bjarn Straussup quote
along those lines somewhere?)

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com