Okay, that gets me thinking.
First of all, we still would need to decide if the language should withhold a feature to "help" the users. It's really up to them how they use this basic reference. You've brought up a good point, but surely there are certain situations... Unless...

We can discuss a more drastic change in the language to accomodate cleaner code that still has access to the caller:
Type hinting method signatures with additional keywords, such as:

public function myMethod($arg) callable trustedClass trustedInterface {
// caller is instance of trustedClass or impliments trustedInterface or we have Exception
}

Surely there would be a few ways to skin this cat, but it solves the "friend class" relationship without if(instanceof)... which would be pretty cool.

Chris Trahey
Web Applications Developer
Database Administrator
College Station I.S.D.

On Sep 19, 2009, at 9:04 AM, "Jared Williams" <jared.willia...@ntlworld.com > wrote:

> [...]

It is considered a code smell, using instanceof in conditionals.

"ttp://c2.com/cgi/wiki?InstanceofInConditionals

And should be refactored with...

"ttp://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ReplaceConditionalWithPolymorphism

Jared