On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> He just asks if we will have a 5.7 release while working on the next major
> in master.
>
> I don't think that we can release the php-next under a years, so I think
> that an 5.7 could be warranted (to keep up with our roadmap), but depends
> on wether or not we have enough new (BC-safe) features.
>
> I don’t see a reason of why we can’t have this major version ready by or
> even sooner than the current yearly rhythm we have.  In fact, if we do aim
> to work in parallel on both 5.7 and .NEXT – we’re likely to needlessly
> delay .NEXT…
>

> Zeev

because there is so much stuff which we want to do in the next major
version, but we can't even start because there is no stable base to target
the other php-next features.
based on the history of php versions, any feature which misses php-next
will have to wait for the next decade, so I don't think that we should rush
it (to meet our yearly release cycle defined in
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess).

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu