disclaimer: I'm not overly interested in phpdbg, maybe I should
        be, but for the moment I'm not.

On Sat, 2014-10-25 at 21:24 +0100, Joe Watkins wrote:
> I'd like to everyone to stay grounded in reality and say that we have
> been checking code into php-src for months, very very few people have
> expressed an interest in what we were actually doing, you aren't one of
> them Stas.

The observation that very few people comment on your commits is correct,
the conclusion unfortunately isn't. The thing is: only very few people
are actively reviewing commits at all. Of those few only few look deeper
into commits ... unfortunately we don't have a good review rate. As long
as tests pass barely anybody complains about when things change. This is
not phpdbg specific but is true for most parts of PHP, on  the engine we
have a few eyes, and a few extension maintainers have highlighting
filters on commits touching their extensions, but that's a minority.

This partly comes from people assuming that bigger changes will be
announced on internals, probably even with RFC. Even though there are
people who want an RFC&vote for everything I'd give extension (and sapi)
maintainers some freedom ...  but the line is a tough one ...

The other reason is that reading commits is tough and requires a lot of
time ... I have no idea how to give incentives to do more review but we
desperately need that (again: not phpdbg specific but for the full
project) one approach to solve that would be to require reviews (either
in a Linux-like way with maintainers pulling changes and signing them
off, taking responsibility that way, or in a tool-based way like Android
with gerrit or such requiring reviews before a change is actually pushed
into the repo) to push any changes but then again our project is too
small and in some areas we can be happy to have somebody working on
bugfixes at all ... enforcing reviews there will slow us down and add
quite some process cost ... maybe somebody finds a good way ...

johannes