Pierre Joye in php.internals (Thu, 5 Mar 2015 12:36:32 -0800):
>On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Adam Harvey <ahar...@php.net> wrote:
>> I'm on the fence about making a release for ereg and mysql: it would
>> help in terms of code availability, but at the same time I feel like
>> it undermines our message of "no, really, don't use these at all in
>> PHP 7", even though they'd be marked as unmaintained and deprecated.
>>
>> I guess I'm open to persuasion either way here.
>
>Same here. First time we moved ext to pecl I was saying that we should
>not provide any release and not even use pecl for that. We disagreed,
>so I think we should be consistent here and move on. While I do think
>that a lot of bad things may happen with people starting to install
>ext/mysql from pecl =)

On the other hand: there is a chance they might switch to PHP7 earlier.
I have got some really old legacy code (dating back to 2005), which is
safely guarded against SQL injection and the like. I did a quick test
and only a few changes were needed to let it run on PHP7. This involved
changes like $$hash into ${$hash}. BTW: Piwik heavily uses $$ even in
the latest releases, so it is not as old-style-coding as you might
think.

We are gradually moving our legacy sites to Drupal 7/8, so we will not
spend time on moving the old code from MySQL to MySQLi. But PHP7 has a
lot of benefits as well. Be sure I will be installing MySQL as shared
extension for PHP7.

Jan