online magstripe stored-value cards in the US use financial institution to
load/purchase the card .... but the actual uses of the card at the merchant
don't involved financial institution transactions.

echeck/ach x9.59-like transactions with the entity receiving the funds
being identified with something like their public key could be done. The
receiving entity then has an account at their financial institution with
their registered public key. The transaction is "deposited" by signing it
again ... and then the financial institution can settle thru standard ACH
network like a normal check.

something like the NACHA aads trials
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#aadsnacha

related
http://internetcouncil.nacha.org/
http://pubs.nacha.org/internet.html

also internet-payments mailing list is hosted by FSTC that originated the
echeck project
http://www.echeck.org/

note in above that echeck/fstc have patents now on digitally signed payment
authorization

also:
http://www.fstc.org/projects/echeck/pressrelease.cfm

fstc web site:
http://www.fstc.org/

universal value exchange launched 2/15/2003 of possibly some interest:
http://fstc-uvx.org/

--
Internet trivia, 20th anv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 2/23/2003 5:43 pm wrote:

At 09:12 AM 2/23/2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>note that the industry has somewhat addressed that with the stored value
>cards (that you find at video stores, coffee houses, department stores,
>book stores, grocery stores, drug stores, etc). The same POS terminals now
>process debit cards, credit cards, and stored value cards .

I have great respect for those accomplishments
but note that they invariably, provide no capability
for their owners to pay anything to anybody other
than thru banks.

Where is there a stored value system that has a P2P interface,
even if it relies on physical presence?

Where is there even a stored value system that allows
a merchant to aggregate balances, without posting
each one to transaction logs at the bank?

Perhaps they exist and I am ignorant,

Thanks
Todd