On 22/11/2010 06:50, Nerius Landys wrote:
> Hello again.  I have some followup information regarding
> Rambetter-PAE-FreeBSD-fix.patch.
>
> First, let me just state that cross-compiling a 32 bit binary on a 64
> bit FreeBSD system is currently not "supported" (for pretty much any
> 3rd party software such as ioquake3).

Actually this is not true, if the required 32bit libraries are around
it will work, both with a direct gmake call or from the ports tree.

>  In general, cross compiling
> applications won't work on any released version of FreeBSD.  (It
> actually can work but with a lot of manual tweaking of headers and
> such.) ...

Tinderbox will work fine.

> Also, I imagine that nobody will want to run the 64 bit ioq3 binary
> (for server at least) on a 64 bit FreeBSD system, because that binary
> is dog slow (same goes for Linux from what I recall).  So, everyone
> will be running the 32 bit server binary probably.  If you don't apply
> my patch, the 32 bit binary won't run on 64 bit systems.

Umm... the difference never seemed very significant for me (note, I
consider it significatn, just not VERY significant). I think it's just
the pointer conversion vm code. You can use native libraries to
circumvent this.