Bruno Lowagie <bruno <at> lowagie.com> writes:
> The conversation was interesting, but now I'm confused:
> is there any further action required by us?
> I mean: the sun.txt has been removed from SVN.
> It's no longer in iText 1.5.3. I see it's still in
> iText 2.0.4, but it won't be in iText 2.0.5 (the
> next release is scheduled for September).

This issue has resurfaced again on the Fedora development list. Currently Fedora
can't include itext for the following reason (succinctly summarised by Spot
Callaway):

<quote>
The "disparaging Sun" license is gone, but the "nuclear" clause is still
there in some of the classes.

This is a use-case restriction:
"You acknowledge that Software is not designed,licensed or intended for
use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
facility."

The word "licensed" is the problem here. Acknowledging that the software
isn't designed or intended for any particular use case is fine, but when
you say that the "software is not licensed for use...", then you're
making a use case restriction.

This is still no-go for Fedora, sorry.
</quote>

This is a real shame, as it would be great to be able to package itext for
Fedora.  Is there any possibility of removing the clause above, or even just the
word "licensed" ?

Best wishes,
Jonathan