On September 22, 2005 01:19 pm, Chris Thompson wrote:

> I'm unable to get my Hauppauge PVR-500 working on my gentoo box.  Can
> someone offer suggestions?  I'm not sure if it is a setup issue, a
> driver issue, or a hardware issue.
>
> With ivtv-0.3.9, /dev/video1 works fine (picture, sound) but /dev/video0
> just gives static.  Same with ivtv-0.3.8.
> With the latest 0.2 and with 0.3.2s, both tuners give 'pulsing static',
> though they pulse at different rates.  I tried the black_magic fix for
> these versions but it didn't help.

With Hans Verkuil's help, which was VERY much appreciated, my problem turned
out to be that I was using the tuner that came with the linux kernel itself
rather than the one that came with ivtv-0.3.9.  Looks likely I was doing the
same with tveeprom as well.  Once I switched, I was able to get both tuners
working correctly and successfully captured mpeg using the cat /dev/video?
trick.

My problem is that I had some video-for-linux drivers compiled in to my kernel
rather than as a module.  Presumably ivtv would have warned me had these been
modules.  Anyway, I will be submitting my notes to the Gentoo MythTV Howto
and the Gentoo PVR-500 Howto later on today.

Thanks, everyone and especially Hans for your fast response and your infinite
patience.