On Fri, 27 May 2016 06:22:01 +0200
Tomasz Sterna <to...@xiaoka.com> wrote:

> W dniu 26.05.2016, czw o godzinie 19∶46 -0700, użytkownik
> li...@lazygranch.com napisał:
> > This is from my attempt to compile the tar.gz file after doing
> > autoreconf -i
> > ./configure
> >
> > I get
> > ./configure: 12735: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
>

> Do not use the source labeled "Source code (tar.gz)" - this is plain
> git source dump, not ready for direct consumption.
>
> Use the source labeled jabberd-2.4.0.tar.xz or jabberd-2.4.0.tar.gz
> (the ones with .asc signatures). These are prepared, with ./configure
> script etc. generated.
>

> P.S. or install autoconf-archive package

Actually I had downloaded  jabberd-2.4.0.tar.gz. However I downloaded
the xz file. I also installed autoconf-archive, though I don't know how
I'm supposed to use it.

Doing some internet search, it is suggested the procedure should be:
aclocal
automake --add-missing
autoconf
./configure

I get this error message:
checking for XML_ParserCreate in -lexpat... no
configure: error: Expat not found
I have expat, so it is a matter of configure not finding it.