On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:12:49PM +0200, Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini wrote:
> This to find also viruses hidden under wrong extensions. It could be
> *optionally* changed to scan only known file extensions, and would be
> a good thing to do.

It would be great if they (file extensions or scan them all) are put on
options.

> There is a second issue: the exception in the release of the matcher
> used by Oki (it.praxis.james.jar 1.1.5/15) was expected to be caught
> and ignored,

Makes me wonder why the messages stay in the spool. The following is
what I have:

  <mailet match="IsInfected=clamscan %targetDir%,/var/tmp,false,1"
    class="ToProcessor">
    <processor>vscan</processor>
  </mailet>

  <processor name="vscan">
    <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster">
      <notice>From vscan.</notice>
    </mailet>
    <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
      <repositoryPath> db://james/deadletter/vscan </repositoryPath>
    </mailet>
    <mailet match="All" class="Null">
    </mailet>
  </processor>

> in the last release (it.praxis.james.jar 1.1.6/16) was
> expected to be thrown up embedded in a MimeMessage and caught by
> LinearProcessor, thrown up and caught by
> JamesSpoolManager.process(Mail), that would (up to James 2.2.0a4) be
> finally caught and the message would have been sent to the "error"
> processor.

I think it's time to upgrade the matcher.

> as described, but an *Error*, subclass of *Throwable*. In this case
> it was caught another level up in the stack - JamesSpoolManager.run()
> - and the message was thrown away!!!!

Do you think that James should have a better exception handler? I think
it should. Well, in my case, the problem caused a filled up log file.
Not quite a big deal, but having to clear up the spool when such
messages come in, that would be pretty tedious.

> IMO this is an error in
> sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method), that
> should have thrown any subclass of Exception, (not even a
> RuntimeException), but never an Error.

Sun should be noticed I believe; a simple cut & paste, and the JVM gets
an internal error is not quite a good view.

Oki