> > I would check MIME type, file extension, and most importantly the
> > magic, to make sure that they all match.  Any failure to match
> > would be suspect, regardless of what the A/V program says.  I
> > think you misunderstood my earlier point.

> In truth I must have done, I *still* wouldn't like to trust that those
> things weren't being hijacked though, even the magic.

Exactly.  So if an attachment has MIME type T then it should have one of the
known extensions for MIME type T and it should have the correct magic.  That
way if an attachment claims to be MIME type "image/jpeg", then it must have
an extension of .jpeg, jpg or jpe, AND have a magic value of
0xFFD8FFE0JFIF0x00.  If it has a magic value of something else, e.g.,
0x7FELF or MZ, then it should be rejected *regardless of the anti-virus
scan*.  A simple set of magic is:

        Format          Magic
        PNG                     0xD3PNG
        GIF                     GIF89a
        JPEG                    0xFFD8FFE0JFIF0x00
        ELF                     0x7FELF
        Windows .EXE    MZ

/usr/share/[misc/]magic has a collected set to use with the file command
(Windows users, see: http://www.alaska.net/~royce/pub/solaris/MAGIC).  The
pertinent aspects of the file command could be re-implemented in Java.

The purpose would be to prevent someone from slipping an executable by as a
non-executable, since most operating systems load by magic, not extension or
MIME type.

        --- Noel