Hello Godmar Back,
sorry, that I answered so late, but I have had no time in the
last time. (Its over a month, where you have this mail).
Sorry, that I answerd so late.

Godmar Back wrote:

>  Hi Patrick,
>

> > On my Linux-System I have no gmake and automake I can't
>
> Linux comes with GNU make by default.
> Type "make -v" to see it.  (You know, "GNU/Linux"?)

Aha. But there stand "gmake" in the file INSTALL. And if
I want to start it, I must input "make" ...?

> > install, so as I have tried to install your Japhar with
> > '.configure' first and then 'make' (NOT gmake), there comes
> > Errors and the compilation was stoppt.
>
> In Kaffe, it is for this reason that we provide all automake-generated
> file in the CVS repository and in the snapshot.
>
> However, you can get automake: either look in the ftp directory of
> your Linux distribution, or download it from
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/automake/

Yes, automake, autoconf anf libtools I have succesful installed.
But with SuSE-Linux 6.0 and 6.1 there comes errors.

> > And then I have not a Question:
> > Why is Japhar licensed under the LGPL and not under the GPL ?
> > Is it possible, that it is licensed in any time under the
> > GPL ?
> >

> > But I liked Japhar already now more then Kaffe, because Kaffe is
> > only for Linux free. I think that Japhar is or becomes the
> > best Java-clone. :-)
> >

>  Japhar may be the best Java clone, but be aware that Kaffe
> is already GPLed for *all* platforms.  It is hence as "free" as the GPL
> allows it.

Oh yes, I have seen it. But thats not so long, that it is GPLd.
Isn't it ?

> It is not completely free like a BSD license would be, but
> I think the past has shown that the GPL is a license that is accepted
> by many open source projects.  That's why Tim Wilkinson chose it.
>
> The GPL does not impose *any* restriction with regard to a specific
> platform or operating system.  For instance, you can run Kaffe on Linux,
> FreeBSD, Solaris, and NetBSD/arm, to name a few architectures.
> For more information, see www.kaffe.org.  The kaffe licensing FAQ is
> at www.kaffe.org/FAQ.html
>
>         - Godmar

But why exists no with "--static" compiled versions of japhar
for the supported Platforms FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, Solaris and
Win32 ? And why is there not the to Win32 ported Source-code
on the Japhar-Homepahe ?

If anyone have problems with compiling the sources (like me), so
he can use it (the japahr), too.

To the LGPL: As I have written the last mail, I thought , that
the LGPL is much bader like the GPL, because I have red before
the german version of
http://www.gnu.org/brave-gnu-world/issue_1.html
in the german newspaper "Linux-Magazin".
There stand under "Renaming of the LGPL", that all authos
"should prefer the GPL whenever possible".

Bye
Patrick