I haven't tried it, but I think the fix should be easy... never throw
that exception.  Either check for null before the loop, or in the
loop.

Original code for native int sorting:

        TermEnum termEnum = reader.terms (new Term (field, ""));
        try {
          if (termEnum.term() == null) {
            throw new RuntimeException ("no terms in field " + field);
          }
          do {
            Term term = termEnum.term();
            if (term.field() != field) break;
            int termval = Integer.parseInt (term.text());
            termDocs.seek (termEnum);
            while (termDocs.next()) {
              retArray[termDocs.doc()] = termval;
            }
          } while (termEnum.next());
        } finally {
          termDocs.close();
          termEnum.close();
        }

------------- possible fix --------------
        TermEnum termEnum = reader.terms (new Term (field, ""));
        try {
          do {
            Term term = termEnum.term();
            if (termEnum==null || term.field() != field) break;  // CHANGE here
            int termval = Integer.parseInt (term.text());
            termDocs.seek (termEnum);
            while (termDocs.next()) {
              retArray[termDocs.doc()] = termval;
            }