KEGan,

When you search by "4. Sort by Miles", I suppose the sorting by relevance
(of the search keyword) is lost? Since this is implemented using a custom
SortComparatorSource.

Sorting by miles becomes the primary sort key, score and date become
secondary sort fields (in the case of ties).

Also, I suppose, if FunctionQuery were used, we can make "job distance by
miles" part of the relavancy of the search results?

Yes, this is my understanding of the power of FunctionQuery.

Peter

If you dont mind, I would like to ask you more on the feature "4. Sort by
Miles".

When you search by "4. Sort by Miles", I suppose the sorting by relevance
(of the search keyword) is lost? Since this is implemented using a custom
SortComparatorSource.

Also, I suppose, if FunctionQuery were used, we can make "job distance by
miles" part of the relavancy of the search results?

Could you comment or confirm my assertion ? Thanks :)

On 10/28/06, Peter Keegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> performs the calculation to compare the 2 documents' location values
> (saved
> from above) to the reference location.
>
> I believe this can also be accomplished with Solr's FunctionQuery, but I
> haven't tried that yet.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> > Chris Lu
> > -------------------------
> > Instant Full-Text Search On Any Database/Application
> > site: http://www.dbsight.net
> > demo: http://search.dbsight.com
> >
> > On 10/27/06, Peter Keegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I am pleased to announce the launch of Monster's new job search Beta
> web
> > > site, powered by Lucene, at: http://jobsearch.beta.monster.com(notice
> > the
> > > Lucene logo at the bottom of the page!).
> > >
> > > The jobs index is implemented with Java Lucene 2.0 on 64-bit Windows
> > (AMD
> > > and Intel processors)
> > >
> > > Here are some of the new features:
> > >
> > > 1. 'Improve your search by'...
> > >
> > > The job search results page allows you to browse and 'drill down'
> > through
> > > the results by job category, status, type and salary. The number of
> > matching
> > > jobs in each facet is displayed. There will likely be many more
facets
> > > browse by in the future.
> > >
> > > This feature is currently implemented with a custom HitCollector and
> the
> > > DocSet class from Solr.
> > >
> > > 2. 'More like this'
> > >
> > > Find more jobs like the one you see by clicking on the 'MORE LIKE
> THIS'
> > > link, which is visible when you hover the mouse over the job title.
> > >
> > > This feature is implemented with Lucene's term vectors and the
> > > 'MoreLikeThis' contribution class. If you are in 'detailed view',
the
> > term
> > > vectors from the job description are used. In 'brief' view, the job
> > title's
> > > term vectors are used.
> > >
> > > 3. 'Related Titles'
> > >
> > > When you do a 'keywords' search, click on a 'related titles' link to
> > filter
> > > you search by similar job titles.
> > >
> > > This feature is implemented via a separate Lucene.Net index.
> > >
> > > 4. Sort by 'Miles'
> > >
> > > Find jobs close to you via zip code/radius search. In the search
> results
> > > page, click on the 'Miles' column to sort the results by distance
from
> > your
> > > zip code/radius.
> > >
> > > This custom sorting feature is implemented via Lucene's
> > > 'SortComparatorSource' interface.
> > >
> > > 5. Search by date, salary, distance.
> > >
> > > Find jobs posted in the last day (or 2,3, etc) or by salary range or
> > > distance.
> > >
> > > Numeric range search is one of Lucene's weak points
(performance-wise)