Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,
I can get vertical synchronization in full screen exclusive mode with JDK1.5
but not with JDK1.6. I am using the strategy outlined at
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/image/BufferStrategy.html. I
tested this on two systems and the outcome is the same. The systems are:

  Note that vsync is not really guaranteed by BufferStrategy, no
  matter if it's FSEM or windowed mode.

System 1: OS: Linux-x86_64 (Fedora 8)
Graphics card: NVidia Quadro FX 570M
NVIDIA Driver Version: 173.14.09
X Server: Xorg version 1.3.0.0
System 2: OS: Linux-x86 (Ubuntu 8.04)
Graphics card: NVidia GeForce Go 6400
NVidia driver version: 169.12
X Server: Xorg 1.4.0.90

I tested the same code on these two systems enabling/disabling opengl pipeline
(-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True/False) and with jdk1.5 and jdk1.6. The only
combination where I get the correct behavior is jdk1.5 and opengl pipeline
enabled (on both systems). (Note on a Windows XP machine it works with both
JDK1.6 and 1.5)

  Hm, I don't believe we supported fullscreen mode on Linux until
  6, so I'm not sure how you could get it to work there.

  Have you tried windowed mode on the same systems with 6.0 or 5.0?
  Do you get vsync then?

  Thanks,
    Dmitri

Here is a part from the code:

createBufferStrategy(2);
bs = getBufferStrategy();
for (int j = 0; j < nRepeat; j++) for (int i = 0; i <= getWidth() - bi.getWidth(); i += bi.getWidth()) displayImage(i, y, bi);
public void displayImage(int x, int y, BufferedImage bi) {
    do {
      do{
        Graphics g = bs.getDrawGraphics();
        g.setColor(getBackground());
        g.fillRect(0, 0, getWidth(), getHeight());
        g.drawImage(bi, x, y, null);
        g.dispose();
      }while(bs.contentsRestored());
      bs.show();
    }while(bs.contentsLost());
}

Expected outcome is a bar smoothly moving from left to right (bi is just that,
a vertical bar) on a black background.

Any ideas? Thank you.
[Message sent by forum member 'boyaci' (boyaci)]