If I understand your problem correctly, there are lots of ways to do this, but
nothing that is easy and portable.  If you haven't already seen these, they are
worth a look.

"Screen Capture: Recording Java Apps"
http://javagraphics.blogspot.com/2008/06/screen-capture-recording-java-apps.html

"Screencast-O-Matic"
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

If you are willing to sacrifice speed for complexity or portability, you can
directly use the native peer instead of java.awt.Robot.  The native peers are
much, much faster.

In theory, the entire Java graphics toolkit should be pluggable, so that you
could just use a toolkit implementation that provided streaming and deferred to
the real toolkit for rendering.  In practice, this is a huge job that isn't
well modularized from the rest of the JRE, although there has been some
progress in Java 7.

Windows supports the concept of a video mirror driver which is exploited by
some versions of VNC.  There are probably similar facilities available for
other operating systems, but I don't know of anything with Java bindings.
[Message sent by forum member 'coxcu' (coxcu)]