Yes I understood the disadvantage of the VI, and I wasn't discarding your
solution without trying it out first. :-)
The main reason why I hadn't tried it yet, was because I thought that the
_writing_ to the VI/BI would occur more often than the _reading_ from, thus
nullifying the advantage of the zero cost in reading from the VI instead of the
BI.

Anyway, upon disabling the direct draw and thereby forcing the BI's, the
application did not slow down visibly. Thus giving me hope for the BI
Repaintmanager way.

Now I need to find some good references about accessing the backbuffer directly
using the RepaintManager. Currently I use the repaintmanager to mainly log the
calls and then forward them to the awt.Robot.

As a sidenote:
component.paint / print now occur much faster when DDraw is disabled.
(This is obvious because the backbuffer now also is a BI, making the painting
BI->BI instead of VI->BI. I just noted this for other people struggling with
the subject.)

Thanks for all the help (and patience)!
[Message sent by forum member 'methius' (methius)]