On Friday, June 6, 2014 12:31:34 PM UTC-5, KWright wrote:

> Nope!
>
> C or Idris, I'll also accept Assembler.
>
> and Scala's the least bad you can get if otherwise tied to the JVM. :)

I completely understand why you prefer Idris/Haskell over Scala and Scala
over Java.

But why on Earth would you also prefer C? That seems to go the opposite
direction and be a big step down from Java?

All the things Scala fixes from Java are broken in C as well: if
expressions, for/monad comprehensions, focus on immutability, pervasive
type inference, cleaned up generics, array syntax that is unified with
generics (Array[Type] rather than Type[]), language level currying and
partial functions, overridable var/val and ideal property system, singleton
objects instead of static.

And C/C++ is worse than Java: #define/#include, header files, __declspec,
library dependency system is a wreck, ABI issues across binaries, hairy
legacy issues that are far worse than Java, wildly varying implementations
of the "standard", super complex networking/threading/file apis that make
the Java standard library a work of art. Did you ever use COM/ActiveX? Have
you ever worked with international strings in C? It's a major pain, it's
wildly non-standard between different compiler vendors, and makes every
other language ridiculously elegant in comparison.

Programmers often hate the tool they use for work, because they have to
deal with lots of legacy code and annoying coworkers with conflicting
styles. When they use another language/tool on the side, they can do
everything exactly how they want, so the other tool seems better. If you
had to deal with large amounts of typical legacy business C code, I expect
you would appreciate Java a lot more. And if you used Idris for work with
tons of legacy code and annoying coworkers, it would be better because
Idris/Haskell are so strict about enforcing certain conventions, but it
still wouldn't be ideal.