I wonder about Swift in terms of performance of apps. Traditionally Games
companies use C++ for their games engines and on iOS just use the minimum
Objective-C to act as the glue to the operating system. For all Objective-C
apps then yes Swift will be a big improvement but for those where it was
kept to a minimum the difference may not be as dramatic.

I think it is good that Apple are moving away from Objective-C. Objective-C
did feel like a pet project of Steve Jobs and now that he is no longer
leading Apple they have the opportunity to replace it with something more
modern. It shouldn't be hard for swift to be more modern than Objective-C.

I expect as I will be developing mobile apps for my company I will have the
chance to give a first hand verdict of what I think of Swift. To be honest
it is kind of nice to think I may manage to dodge having to do so much
Objective-C as long as swift is backwards compatible with older versions of
iOS. I hope it is.

Carl