From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of rosecomb...@cox.net
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 1:03 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Learning MS ribbons - virtual or not ......

I might have embraced virtual ribbons had I been new to Word but I had been
using Word and Outlook 2007 for several years before they appeared and not
having the ability to use shortcut keys my brain used automatically was the
reason I turned them off and have never been tempted to use them again.  I
learned the ribbons from Jaws Help and extra training files early on and
being able to type control E and have text centered for example instead of
finding it in menus or even on the ribbons worked and was faster.
Production was a keyword in my employment so the shortest way to accomplish
something was a byword.

I can see using the virtual ribbons for newbies or for someone who does not
have to be concerned about time constraints.  They were added for good
reason for many users.  I am not saying they should never be used, but, I do
suggest one learn the ribbons and then decide which works best for their
needs.  The help system (not installed on my current computer because I
can't figure out why Windows 10 won't allow me to get them off the CD) (have
not tried too hard) are extremely well written and narrated.  Use them.
Then decide what options meet with your style of working.  No one of us has
the right answer for you.  Your style is unique, you made the decisions but
read about both at least is my humble opinion.