Totally spaced a very important step: launch Thunderbird then press alt + t then o. This will bring up the setting window. arrow to general then tab once. uncheck start with Thunderbird homepage. here is an example:
alt + T then O
Options dialog
General
1 of 8
Tab
Thunderbird Start Page
When Thunderbird launches, show the Start Page in the message area check box checked
You want to uncheck this box so you hear:
When Thunderbird launches, show the Start Page in the message area check box not checked
tab to ok and click it.