Hello Vicki,
If you go into Adobe Reader without a document open and open the
accessibility set up assistant under the edit menu, there is an option
that allows for customizing accessibility for screen readers. One of
the options on step 4 of 4 of this multi-page screen is display
documents in the web browser. If you uncheck this box and then tab to
and press enter on the done button, any document opened will only
display in Adobe reader where it can be viewed if accessible or saved.
I hope that helps