I too experienced the same problems that Serguei did when my app hit a
breakpoint while on the event dispatch thread.  This seems to only happen on
WIN NT/2000.  There are 2 solutions (workarounds):

        1.  Get off the event dispatch thread.  Good swing programs don't
tie up the event dispatch thread doing non-GUI work.  Look at Sun's
implementation of SwingWorker for one possible solution.  If you're not sure
what thread your on,  call Thread.currentThread().toString().

        2.  Debug remotely.  While the three debugging techniques mentioned
below don't work on the same PC, I was able to use JDEbug remotely via a
socket. See Attaching via a Socket in the JDEbug user's guide.  I realize
that not everyone has the luxury of having 2 pcs in their cube.

hope this might help someone...

Jim