Hello Paul,

Thanks for taking my questions.  I am using jdb that comes with jsdk1.4.2

Here are some more details about what shows up:

Here are my two classes:
dev_root/src/org/me/b/B.java:

package org.me.b;

import org.me.a.A;

public class B extends A{
    public static void main(String arg[]){
        B b=new B();
        System.out.println(""+b.i);
    }
}
dev_root/src/org/me/a/A.java:

package org.me.a;

import java.util.regex.*;

public class A{
    public int i=1;
    public int j=1;
    public int k=1;
    public int l=1;
    public Pattern p = Pattern.compile("a*b");
}
I have set my source path to dev_root/src
and I have set my run directory to  dev_root

I open B.java and press C-c C-v C-d

And another buffer is opened splitting my window with the following <<EOF

cd dev_root
jdb -launch org.me.b.B  (I have orgmeb.jar in my classpath)

Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Initializing jdb ...
> step
Nothing suspended.

VM Started: No frames on the current call stack

main[1]
EOF

The cursor is set to > step  (on the s)
I just press return to step, then after two more steps,
the jdb buffer split window is replaced by A.java!

>From there I have C-c C-a C-o to step up and return to B.java.

But now my debugger window is gone,
so I have to C-x o to go to A.java (since the focus was put back into
B.java) and
C-x b to get back the debug buffer from where I can step again.

It seems more natural to have the debug buffer always visible and
have the "code" split window do the correct switching between source files.

Am I doing something wrong?
is there a better way of running the debugger that I don't know about?

Thanks,

-frankie