From: "Bob Wiener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: Cohan: not a Jew.

> Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> "Ethel Levey was born Ethelia Fowler in 1881.  She grew up in San
Francisco
> to Scottish and Irish parents.  She later adopted the name Levey from her
> Jewish step-father, Sol Levey."
> http://members.tripod.com/davecol8/id19.htm
>

> But (assuming this is all true) I doubt that even the most "liberal" rabbi
> would call George M. Cohan Jewish by association -- that is, by marriage
> a woman whose step-father was Jewish.  Then again, if Ethel Levey
converted
> to Judaism (although I've come across no evidence of that -- a mere name
> change wouldn't do it), according to all rabbis, George M. Cohan's
children
> would have been Jewish at birth.
>

> In conclusion, I'd say that not every great American Broadway/popular
> songwriter has to be Jewish.
>
> Bob

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash