I honestly can't answer this myself, but is there a possibility that songs we now find offensive would have been heard differently in their original context? I'm thinking, for example, of how in Hawaii (my wife's native state whose governor is a Jewish woman; shaloha!!), the ethnic humor of the island's best-loved comedians would be considered absolutely unacceptable on the Mainland, but is widely loved there even by those whose various 'eths' are subject. The islands' most popular comedian, Frank de Lima, is a regular visitor to every elementary school in the state, something that he could never do if his stuff was regarded as offensive.

I really don't know how Berlin's humor would have been received in its time. Certainly there was plenty of stuff out there that would have offended its subjects (such as blackface minstrels), but I'd appreciate hearing from any and all who can enlighten us.

At 04:51 PM 4/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:

In a message dated 4/22/3 9:23:54 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< >
>5) In all his career he never wrote one racist "Hebe" song while his Jewish
>colleague Irving Berlin wrote over a dozen....

Please be so kind as to list three of these.

1) "White Christmas"
2) "Easter Parade"
3) "Who Ate The Knish on Yom Kippur"

Is it too late to submit these for Purim?
Simon

Alex Lubet, Ph. D. Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies University of Minnesota 100 Ferguson Hall Minneapolis, MN 55455 612 624-7840 (o) 612 699-1097 (h) 612 624-8001 ATTN: Alex Lubet (FAX)

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash