I've commited another  GT.escapeHTML() call, on the "skeleton" sentence at the
footer --
the one that started all this--

I changed every string in my local copy of es.PO file back to accents and
tested. Everything
working here OK  --well, nearly, but I will leave that for later on; accents
are a bad thing on
filenames; first lesson when yo write web pages in Spanish: avoid accents in
file names.

> Just added a couple more GT.escapeHTML() calls. Around the names of the
> buttons and such.

Ah, the buttons in scriptButton page! God catch, Bobª
  That may be another tricky point. Buttons and other form controls tended to
behave
different with accented characters --I hope that was only with old browsers and
isn't
happening any more. But be alert on Macs.
A new test is available at
http://biomodel.uah.es/angel/jmoltoweb15/popin.html
http://biomodel.uah.es/angel/jmoltoweb15/scriptbutton.html

Jonathan, I'm not totally sure, but I seem to recall that this Mac-specific way
of encoding
has happened to us before. Maybe that was why I never could come to a
conclusion about
our problems with characters after many tests. Pages created in Win have no
trouble, pages
created in Mac do. I could never believe that and so assert it, but I think
that was my
internal conclusion.
So it may well not be a MacJava problem, but a MacOS one.

Uff!