Jonathan wrote:

> special characters in the file names.  This does not work when the
> script processing engine is used to load and queue a script through
> commands like "script Herr&#0255ez.spt" (used by jmolButton).

I did a quick test yesterday and everything worked except the background image.
But again
made in Windows and seen in Windows, so it's not safe to assume a general
behavior.
But even if that's true, allowing special characters in paths and filenames is
a BAD thing,
particularly if it goes to a web server.

The easy way is to leave it in the user's hands. As I said before, the first
thing I learned --
and teach-- is to avoid special characters -and spaces- in filenames for
webpages.
But of course we should, if possible, protect the user from himself.

> inclination is to replace all special characters with an underline

That seems fair
(and, as a side effect, a way to teach users to avoid their special characters;
I'd quickly learn
to type  "proteina estupida.spt"  instead of  "proteína estúpida.spt"  if the
system provides
me with  "prote_na_est_pida.spt"  for the latter)

> the javaname that is used to generate script and image names.  My
> question is does simple replace support a "not" kind of structure or
> should I use the java replace system which will allow me to deny all

That's too technical for me

> characters that are not 0..1a..zA..Z?  The only problem I really see
> is that this might become an issue in non-western languages.

I guess than when we have in Jmol languages that use 2-bit characters (we don't
have any
yet, do we?)  the problems will arise in more places than this one.

If you can, you should allow also hyphen and underscore.

And On 30 Aug 2008 at 20:49, Jonathan Gutow wrote:

> Angel,
>       Is there a chance that Spanish speakers would use accented
> characters in directory names?  If so I will need to fix check for
> accented characters in the path as well.

There are all chances that they'll try to do so, unfortunately.