Bob,
        We're almost there.  We've now got it set up so that users can have
special characters in the button text.  However, this leads to
special characters in the file names.  This does not work when the
script processing engine is used to load and queue a script through
commands like "script Herr&#0255ez.spt" (used by jmolButton).  My
inclination is to replace all special characters with an underline in
the javaname that is used to generate script and image names.  My
question is does simple replace support a "not" kind of structure or
should I use the java replace system which will allow me to deny all
characters that are not 0..1a..zA..Z?  The only problem I really see
is that this might become an issue in non-western languages.

Jonathan