Hi all,

I’m working on a molecular tutorial that allows you to navigate between
multiple scenes, each with different scripted animation in JSmol.

I’m finding that quickly jumping between scenes does not always stop scripted
animations. I’ve tried calling each of these methods: exit, quit, !exit, and
!quit, but some animations still persist. I’m not sure but it seems like
‘delay’ and ‘zoom’ tend to persist or to not exit more so than others.

My basic method goes something like this:

[1] scene is loaded with:
Jmol.script(jmolview1, 'load model.pdb; script initial-view.spt;’);

[2] clicking a play button begins the animation with:
Jmol.script(jmolview1, 'load model.pdb; script animation.spt;’);

[3] during the animation, user clicks to jump to a different scene, so we clear
the current script with:
Jmol.script(jmolview1, ‘exit;’);

[4] then load the new scene with:
Jmol.script(jmolview1, 'load model.pdb; script initial-view2.spt;’);

However at this point, the animation from animation.spt (in step 2 above) will
continue to play. The desired effect is for all scripts to quit, and to reset
the view to the new scene.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? or a different approach for quickly
switching between different scenes with animation? Should I be creating new
‘jmolview1’ applets for each one?

Thanks for your advice,

Jeff