Am 08.06.17 um 19:44 schrieb Robert Hanson:

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Rolf Huehne <rolf.hue...@leibniz-fli.de
<mailto:rolf.hue...@leibniz-fli.de>> wrote:

    Am 08.06.17 um 14:41 schrieb Robert Hanson:

        RIP,  Java applets.

    Since there still are many situations where the superior Java
    performance would be helpful (large structures; surfaces; complex
    Jmol scripts that are running about 50 times slower in the
    Javascript version) it would still be good to have a Java version
    with the flexibility of the applet to build customized user interfaces.

sorry, didn't mean to imply that we were dropping applet production.
It's all produced in a few clicks of a button -- Jmol app, Jmol applet,
JmolData, JSmol. So I will keep that happening the same.

I havn't misunderstood that. But an applet can only be of public use if there are systems available supporting it.

    I am wondering how much effort it would be to extend the applet by a
    HTML/CSS rendering and Javascript engine like it is provided by
    systems like 'JavaFX - WebView Component
    (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/api/toc.htm
    <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/api/toc.htm>

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2438201/pure-java-html-viewer-renderer-for-use-in-a-scrollable-pane

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2438201/pure-java-html-viewer-renderer-for-use-in-a-scrollable-pane>),
    Oracle Nashorn
    (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jf14-nashorn-2126515.html

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jf14-nashorn-2126515.html>),
    and HtmlUnit (http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
    <http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/>).

    I woud guess one of the critical points would be how much of the
    Javascript/Applet communication would still be possible in such
    application.

I don't know anything about JavaFX, but it's not clear to me there has
been any development on it since 2012 or 2014. Maybe just an idea that
never took off? Do you see some advantage to this?

Since I don't have done any Java programming I will know even less. When I spoke to a computer scientist about the problem of dropped NPAPI plugin support by an increasing number of browsers, he suggested to become independent of any browser by combining the applet with already existing Java HTML5/CSS/Javascript engines. I have chosen the example engines just to illustrate the idea, not because I know anything particular about their suitability.

It seems that Oracle still recommends JavaFX for Desktop applications.
At last that is what the following post about the future of JavaFX from 2016 (unfortunately in German) suggests: https://jaxenter.de/hart-aber-fair-welche-zukunft-hat-javafx-37199 . Among other things it describes the reaction of Oracle to a request of an interest group of german Java users (iJUG) about the future of JavaFX. According to this Oracle recommends it and has an official roadmap for it until 2028.

The advantage I see with the general idea is that each Jmol-based web service, running in the future with the Javascript version, could also be run as a Java desktop application.

And although the general Javascript performance is catching up with Java, my observation is that it the performance is less stable. This means that a task for example took anything from 60 seconds to 120 seconds (or even more) in the Javascript version, depending on how the browser 'felt'. In contrast the Java version stably needed about ten seconds, run on the same system before and after the Javascript version.

Regards,
Rolf