I agree completely, Stephan.

A *completely* automated tool would be virtually impossible.

I was really talking about a system that *would* depend on the
plug-in authors verifying their plug-ins functionality with various
jQ versions.  After they do, we have a central database that they
log into, and input their information regarding version success and
dependencies.

Then, I could look up any version of the jQ core and the database
would tell me what plug-ins were compatible with that version and
which weren't.  That way I could see that a particular plug-in that
I use is not compatible with an updated core and I would know not
to update.

I would be willing to pay a monthly fee to have access to such a database
and to have that fee shared with the jQuery core team, as well as the
plug-in authors to reimburse them for their time to ease my pain.

I think a system like this would also, very importantly, make it easier
for those that are considering jQuery to get a handle on all the plug-ins
available, maintain consistent, unbroken websites that are dependent upon
plug-ins and the jQ core, and help those new to the system immediately know
what dependencies certain plug-ins have.

Right now we have to deal with the jQ core, 1st level plug-in compatibility
with the core, and 2nd level plug-ins on which the 1st level plug-in depend.
And we have to make sure all these parts know how to dance together.  Any
failure at any one point could bring a site down.

For those that live and breathe jQuery day-in and day-out, this might not be
such an issue, but for those of us who make use of it occasionally, after
having
been away from the jQ scene for even a couple of weeks, the landscape shifts
dramatically!

I would be willing to develop the database, interface, etc, to handle such
a site, and host it if the jQ team and plug-in developers would utilize it.

It would simply be a matter of the jQ core team and plug-in developers being
willing to take the time to input the information they have into the system.

That's more of the *automated* system I was thinking of, rather than writing
code that could analyze the core and all its plug-ins.

As someone who is new to the use of js libraries, I may be off on an
unnecessary
wild good chase...

Rick