Yes, Richard, it made my day too when they replied this way. I wasn't expecting
it. I wonder what sort of distribution and marketing it will get though.... I
don't know Alethes or the International Institute of Arts and  Letters (though
name of the latter is impressive enough), I wonder how much publicity this
reprint will get. We'll have to help them with own little efforts!

This book explains so much about technology and so "grundlich" - far more than
the cleverest contemporary commentators, who mess around on the surface and
have lost sight of the fire in all the smoke of details and "solutions".

Unfortunately I also find reading this book very depressing - it only confirms
that our developments can only end in catastrophe. The only question is the
degree of that catastrophe and if humanity will learn anything by it. As EJ
says, the Titans are only stopped by catastrophe. This will inevitably happen,
and thank the gods that it will, for humanity's sake and the earth's. But the
question remains if humanity will learn anything from it all. I am pessimistic
- two world wars only promoted the perfection and faith in technology.

Dare I be quite frank? I can only assume that the coming catastrophes will
dwarf even the world wars. The elemental powers that FGJ talks about are only
more enslaved and pent-up now than back then. When they find their freedom from
man's chains, may the gods help us. Of the 4 elements it is Fire that is
particularly worrisome. Water and Earth have been exploited and exhausted, but
Fire has only been multiplied and distributed to every small corner of the
world. It is momentarily contained - in refineries, nuclear and other power
plants, factories, combustion engines, heating furnaces, the whole electrical
grid. But fuel is everywhere, and increased in its volatility by the retreat of
water and earth. If, WHEN, this fire gets loose, the "firestorms" of Ernst
Juenger's Eumeswil may be the result. Even the summer fires in Greece,
California, Spain etc are not unrelated - bad omens.

I told my father recently that if I were to write a book about the last few
centuries of civilization it would be called "The failure of humanity".
Imagine: we come all this way over so many generations, with so much hope and
so much sacrifice to realize a future utopia, only to arrive and discover that
we have actually destroyed humanity, merely prepared the ground for someone
else, be it the insect or the robot - or most likely, the robot-man of a Brave
New World. Talk about a grand disappointment!

All the more reason to become an anarch and find your own meaning in life
beyond society's successes or failures.

Forgive my pessimistic tone - but "succeed in playing life as a game and you
will find honey in nettles and hemlock" (badly paraphrased from Eumeswil).

Simon
http://ernst-juenger.blogspot.com