Two questions:

  * Is your account set up as pop3 or as IMAP? If you use pop3 if you
    use two mail clients there are chances that the other client deletes
    all mails it has downloaded.
  * Might it be that the mails don't vanish but that K9 only shows the
    first 20, 50 or 100 Mails - and these mails are Mail Nr. 21, 51 or 110?