Peter Samuelson wrote:

> > > I think that is overengineering.
>
> [Greg Banks]
> > Sure.  I was just saying that if we want a conditional statement
> > with combined value+visibility semantics, it should be separate from
> > the one that really matters, i.e. that which matches the old "if"
> > semantics.
>
> I guess I wasn't quite clear: my current implementation is both
> visibility + value, not visibility only (like current if [ ]) or value
> only (like an earlier discussion of dep_if).

Aha.  I think you're going to be arguing uphill to get it in.

> I think it is a common case,

Agreed.

> and easy to work around if not wanted.

Not so sure about that.

> I also think that introducing multiple if-like statements would negate
> the chief purpose of this project, which is not only to make the
> syntax consistent but to simplify the rules.

Agreed.

> Finally, I think that people should not have to worry about
> visibility.

That certainly sounds like a worthy goal.

> My primitives are all set to *not* ignore empty
> dependency values, if and when we can verify that the corpus is ready
> for that change.  The mechanism is also there (come The Day) to change

Oh no, the dreaded flag day.

> I can't quite decide if you are agreeing with my status quo or not.  I
> think it is useful to assume that n='' for the purpose of dependency
> calculation.

Agreed.

Greg.
--
the price of civilisation today is a courageous willingness to prevail,
with force, if necessary, against whatever vicious and uncomprehending