Hello.

Jason Wessel wrote:

>>> If not can you provide me with a test case to see the problem?

>>    Well, for example, with 2.6.18-rt7 kernel, stepping into
>> smp_processor_id() was blowing away U-Boot (!) on my PPC board (even
>> in PREEMPT_DESKTOP mode)... On x86, stepping past preempt_disable()
>> caused reboots.

> Sergei,

> Now that sounds more interesting.  Perhaps you can elaborate on the
> configuration further, or provide the results of a test.  I wonder if I

    It was happening in PREEMPT_DESKTOP mode when stepping into
slab_irq_save() -- which contains cpu_processor_id() in this mode.

> have the same board I can try that test on?  In theory it should already
> be fixed, after merging the code.  On ppc boards I have seen this happen
> with evlog before where it can scramble the boot loader.

    Looks like it's been fixed indeed. But still the session stalls in RT mode
-- here the macro looks different...

> For the x86 problem, which part of the kernel should I step through to
> try out the preempt_disable()?   Are you using a low level single step,
> a source step in, step over, or finish frame?  Certainly you cannot step
> through all parts of the kernel, but it would be good to understand
> where you cannot and why it would work by turning off DEBUG_PREEMPT.

    This also seems to work now.
    Thanks for unravelling this mystery (which we were too lazy to do :-).

> Jason.

WBR, Sergei