Subject: Top 25 Most Censored Stories of 2012-2013 Online Now!
From: Project Censored <pe...@projectcensored.org>
Date: Mon, September 30, 2013 8:09 pm

View the most censored stories online now

View this email in your browser
(http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e8526bc09be7b03c98231efd7&id=6a4e733934&e=ca436c6ab0 )

The presentation of this year’s Top 25 stories
(http://www.projectcensored.org/category/top-25-censored-stories-from-2012-2013/ ) extends the tradition originated by Professor Carl Jensen and his Sonoma State students in 1976, while reflecting how the expansion of the Project to include affiliate faculty and students from campuses across the country and around the world—initiated several years ago as outgoing director Peter Phillips passed
the reins to current director Mickey Huff—has made the Project even more
diverse and robust. During this year’s cycle, Project Censored reviewed 233 Validated Independent News stories (VINs) representing the collective efforts
of 219 college students and 56 professors from 18 college and university
campuses that participate in our affiliate program and 13 additional community
evaluators.

Those familiar with Project Censored’s work know that we define censorship as “anything that interferes with the free flow of information in a society that purports to have a free press.” This broader conception of censorship includes

the subtle yet constant and sophisticated manipulation of reality by mass
media…   Such manipulation can take the form of political pressure (from
government officials and powerful individuals), economic pressure (from
advertisers and funders), and legal pressure (from the threat of lawsuits from deep-pocket individuals, corporations, and institutions). Censorship
includes stories that were never published, but also those that get such
restricted distribution that few in the public are likely to know about
them.

By this standard, each of the news stories in our listing of the top 25 for
2012-13
(http://www.projectcensored.org/category/top-25-censored-stories-from-2012-2013/ ) is a censored story, whether the story has received no corporate coverage at all, or—in cases where the story has received corporate coverage—that coverage is partial in one or both senses of the term, i.e., incomplete and/or biased.

Although many of the Top 25 stories can be interpreted as emphasizing
“what’s wrong” in the world today, we hope that our annual list is also
understood as a celebration and appreciation of the good work that these
independent reporters and news organizations do.

View the 25 most censored stories from 2012-2013 here.
(http://www.projectcensored.org/category/top-25-censored-stories-from-2012-2013/ )
http://www.projectcensored.org/support/
Become a $5 monthly Project Censored Supporter and get the newest book free!
Learn more here. (http://www.projectcensored.org/support/)

**

** Follow US
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectCensoredhttps://twitter.com/ProjectCensored