I have wondered about that too - and now use the bobbins with lighter spangles on
finer thread eg finer than
Brok 100,  and the Springetts'/ Fountain's ones on anything thicker than that. I have
used the Springett's
ones on finer threads too and the lace is good - but definitely tighter tension than
the same pattern worked
with continental bobbins (having been in a class with people working the same piece.
Yes, there could have
been a difference in individual's tensions, but I also suspect that the weight of the
bobbins was the main
reason. after all when you use 140 thread you can't pull hard to tension it!)
Sue
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Is there a "general rule" about the weight/size of a spangle?  I used to get
> spangled bobbins from
Springetts which were made with a size 10 or 12 mm bottom bead & then two size 8s &
two size 4s with metal
beads as spacers.  >