At 09:04 AM 11/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> There's
>nothing to keep the wire from rotating within the hole of the bobbin, so
>when you lift the bobbin horizontally, the spangle flops down.
>>As I said, this is personal taste but I absolutely *hate* when the spangles
>drag and catch on neighboring bobbins, and flop up underneath or atop their
>own bobbins.  I make my spangles so they stand out horizonally when the
>bobbin is horizontal.

If people weren't different, then life would be dull indeed.  I could see
Tamara roll her eyes at this discussion.  She avoids the whole problem by
using unspangled square bobbins for all her lace.

If spangles 'flipping' bother you, please don't try spangles made with
fishing line.  They not only flip, but wiggle, shake and twist.  However,
there are people who love them.  I have a few which were gifts and use
them along with all my others.

If spangles bother you, use continentals.  There are umpteen dozens of
varieties.  Explore a few websites to see the range of sizes and styles
of bobbins.  Or learn to turn bobbins and make your own.  Or find your
favorite and have a bobbin maker make up a supply for you.

Spangles are put on bobbins by many methods.  Our modern range of beads is
amazing.  You can make spangles as simple or as fancy as you can afford.
Some people like dangling items instead of a middle bead (but it drives
me nuts to contend with them on a pillow).  Modern spangling has become very
sophisticated.  The antique spangles I've seen were very simple with a
limited variety of beads.  They seemed to use whatever beads they could
find, and any wire that was available.  Modern spangles are color-coded,
descending sizes of beads, and almost hidden wire connections.  They can
be almost a work of art in themselves.

If you want to be able to use your bobbins as soon as they arrive, choose
a form of continental.  If rolling bothers you too much, choose one of
the squared varieties.  Yesterday I even saw a squared Binche bobbin on
one website.  Torchon, Bucks and Beds *can* be made with continentals. <G>
Just match the bobbin size to the thread size for best performance.

This comes from a person who didn't think before winding bobbins for a
Russian lace project, and discovered that Midlands had been wound.  The
sewings were accompanied with mutterings until the project was done.  Then
the Midlands were changed to continentals for the next project!

Now, back to making ornaments.  The end of the month is coming fast.

Happy lacing!

Alice in Oregon -  Deluges of rain and much wind, and maybe snow.
Oregon Country Lacemakers
Arachne Secret Pal Administrator
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]